We’re all busy, I get it. Looking for a new job when there's not the urgency of having lost one can sometimes drop the job search down the list of things to do and before you know it, another month has gone by and you're still in the same job with the same routine having done nothing.
If that's you, you need to rethink your priorities. Remember why you are searching for a new job - maybe more money, a better work life balance, a change of direction and focus on that. Do you want to achieve your goal? How will having a new job make you feel? Do you want to be in the same place this time next year? If it's important to you to find a new job, you DO have time. Even if you are super busy and feel you have just a couple of minutes in your day today - take some action and you'll feel more in control of your job search and like you are actually moving towards your goal. Here are some suggestions for small, quick steps you can take today to move forward.
If you only have…
- Email an old work colleague or work acquaintance to catch up with them and let them know you are looking.
- Invite 3 people in areas you are interested in working to join your LinkedIn network.
- Read an article about a professional field that you’re interested in.
- Look at the “Careers” website for a company you’d like to work and see if there are any vacancies at the moment that you might be interested in. If there are, print them off or save them, if not, bookmark it and look at their career pages - what type of person are they looking for and make a note.
- Review your CV or LinkedIn profile to see if it needs to be updated. I can help with refreshing and updating your LinkedIn profile if you need some help.
- Make a list of your network. All those people you know, friends, friends of friends, old work colleagues, people from the gym etc etc and start getting in touch with them to let them know you are looking for new opportunities. You never know when may be aware of an opening.
- Pull up your CV and looking back at the positions that you saved or printed in the 15 minute activity, look at where you match in terms of skills and what things may be missing from your CV that you may need to add, or gain some extra experience. If you haven't found any open vacancies yet, look at the websites of companies you are interested in and get a feel for where you might be a match for the type of person they are looking for
- Begin to refresh your CV based on those sample jobs that you'd potentially like to apply for or companies you would like to work for.
- Read/listen to a chapter in a professional development book or listen to a podcast.
If you want help coming up with or refining your job search plan, updating your CV and LinkedIn profile book a free call with me to find out how I can help you shine and achieve. https://www.amandaparadine.com/contact/